With the school year kick-off right around the corner, I thought I would share a recipe I use A LOT during the year. It’s a large batch recipe I make on the weekend and use during the week for quick & healthy dinners – plus I pack it up in single servings for fab!Hubby and I to grab on the way out the door for lunch. I cut down on the amount of meat by filling in veggies & beans – the kiddos never complain.
Recipe: Veggie Heavy Turkey Chili
- Olive Oil
- Large Onion – chopped
- Green Bell Pepper – Chopped
- 2 Gloves Garlic – Minced
- 2 Stalked of Celery – Chopped
- 2 Carrots – (peel if you want) – Chopped
- 2 lbs Ground Turkey
- 1 Large Can Crushed or Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Can Sweet Corn
- 1 Can Garbanzo Beans
- 3 packs favorite chili seasoning (like McCormick’s)
- 1 tbsp Molasses
- 1/2 tbsp cinnamon
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat saute the onion, garlic, bell pepper, carrots & celery – 5 to 7 minutes ’till onion is translucent
- Add the meat and cook until completely browned
- Add the corn, beans, and tomatoes including liquid
- Fill tomato can with water and add to pot along with seasoning packets, cinnamon and molasses
- Optional – Turn the heat to low, cover, and simmer – stirring occasionally – for an hour. I do this so the flavors really meld together.
Preparation time: 25 minute(s)
Cooking time: 1 hour(s)
Number of servings (yield): 12
Chili Dinner Ideas
Taco Salad: Layer in individual bowls – lettuce > broken tortilla chips > warmed chili > shredded cheese > salsa > sour cream… enjoy!
Turkey Chili Sweet Potato: Top a baked sweet potato with butter, chili, and mozzarella cheese… yum!