10 Jan Essential Oils for Real Life: Grapefruit
Decided that January’s Essential Oil is grapefruit… it’s one of my favorite scents… if you ask me what happy smells like – it would be grapefruit… or maybe salt water, like the beach in July… but most days, it will be grapefruit.
The first thing I wanted to know when researching grapefruit is why the heck it’s called grapefruit… it’s not green or purple or small or grown on a vine or used to make wine or jelly… so what’s up?
For a long while it was called “The Forbidden Fruit” or a shaddock… it was brought to Florida in the 1800’s and soon after that the name grapefruit become more prevalent because of the way the fruit sometimes grows in clusters.
Uses of Grapefruit Essential Oil
Grapefruit essential oil is made by cold-pressing the rind to extract the oil. The most familiar use of the oil is in connection with weight loss… however the oil is an uplifting scent and can be used to energize and increase stamina. It’s considered useful as an antidepressant, antiseptic, disinfectant as well as a stimulant.
Grapefruit cleanses the body in & out, can help with increasing metabolism and be used to return the body to a healthy balance.
Some of the more popular uses of the oil are:
- As an energizer – diffuse the oil in the morning to naturally lift everyone’s spirits and getting them going for the day… or use a mix with a carrier oil and use as a pick me up during the day.
- For migraines – many have found relief from stress induced migraines by using grapefruit essential oil either in aromatherapy or in massage.
- To treat acne – Grapefruit essential oil can clear up blocked, oily, acne-prone skin, and it’s often added to natural toner blends.
- As a natural cleaner – mixing a few drops of grapefruit essential in with your natural cleaner recipe can aid in the disinfecting power. Try this natural cleanser recipe: http://www.stockpilingmoms.com/2013/03/grapefruit-vinegar-cleaner/
Characteristics of Grapefruit Essential Oil
Botanical Name: Citrus paradisi
Common Method of Extraction: Cold Pressed/Expressed
Part Typically Used: Citrus Rind (Peel)
Color: Pale Yellow – Yellow
Perfumery Note: Top
Strength of Initial Aroma: Medium – Strong
Aromatic Description: Tangy like grapefruit, but sweet. More concentrated smell than the fruit or rind itself.
- Grapefruit Oil lifts and sweetens rosemary.
- Both white and pink grapefruit oils are available. Pink Grapefruit Essential Oil is considered the sweeter version of the oils.
Grapefruit Essential Oil:
- lifts mood, refreshes and energizes
- relieves mental fatigue, improves mental clarity, memory and alertness
- sharpens the senses
- reduces stress and tension
- eases muscle stiffness
- cools the body
- strengthens physical stamina
- helps reduce cellulite
Grapefruit Essential Oil Blend to Lift Your Spirits:
- 10 drops Pink Grapefruit Essential Oil
- 10 drops Bergamot Essential Oil
- Optional: 3 drops of Ylang-Ylang Essential Oil
- 2oz Spring Water
- 1 spray bottler, preferably an atomizer
Add the oils and water to spray bottle. Shake before every use as they will separate. Spray 1 or 2 times into the air to energize, clear your mind, and lighten the mood.
Precaution: As with all citrus essential oils, avoid contact with direct sunlight for up to 12 hours after use. Essential oils can cause skin irritation in some people. Not for kids under 6; dilute more and use carefully in kids over 6.